Being a couple is more than just being friends, more than simply having a sexual relationship. When we become a couple, we create something more than just two people. This union is powerful and important, as shown by the commitment and desire to be a couple and the pain caused if it fails or breaks down.
As a couple we create a sphere that holds all our hopes, fears and desires. When a relationship works, it leads to an immensely fulfilling life. However, as many of us find out, it is not always like that. We may realize that the friendship is not what we expected. Our chosen partner is not quite the person we imagined them to be. The sphere of our couple starts to feel less secure.
WHY DO PEOPLE PURSUE COUPLES COUNSELING?
- Communication problems
- Anger issues
- Dependency or co-dependency
- Broken trust
- Painful pasts (before the relationship began)
- Cheating or adultery
- Parenting challenges
- Fear or uncertainty about the relationship’s future
HOW CAN WE HELP?
- Dating – how to notice the deal-breakers and what makes someone a keeper
- Honeymoon phase/early relationship – considering moving further
- Committed relationship – cohabitation and commitment
- Life changes – kids coming, kids going, career changes – this all happens in the middle!
- Blended families – remarriage and co-parenting
- Parenting as a team
- Late stage marital – empty nest issues, aging parents
- End of the road – you have tried it all!