Possible issues with anxiety? Ask yourself these questions…
Have you ever walked into a room full of people and thought you were going to pass out from fear?
Thought it would be easier to set your face on fire than to say hi to someone you found interesting?
Found yourself standing in front of the herpetarium at the zoo sweating and shaking, while your kids are screaming to go inside and see the snakes?
Do you often…
Feel edgy or uncomfortable for no obvious reason?
Experience insomnia, muscle aches, and medically inexplicable gastric complaints?
Roll a worrying thought around your head for hours, unable to let it go?
Find yourself frozen with indecision, your stomach tied in knots?
Left untreated, anxiety can lead to substance abuse and other poor forms of coping.
Different categories of Anxiety
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder: nonspecific symptoms of anxiety experienced most of the time.
- Phobias: includes agoraphobia, social anxiety and a number of specific phobias.
- Panic disorders: those cases in which panic attacks (shortness of breath, racing heartbeat, rise in
- blood pressure, or feelings of panic and extreme anxiety) are experienced.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (and Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder): characterized
- by repetitive, intrusive and compulsive patterns of thought and behavior.
- Stress disorders: anxiety disorders brought on by some stressor. These disorders include Post-
- Traumatic Stress Disorder or Acute Stress Disorder.